Definition of Artist

art·ist noun \ˈär-tist\



Definition of ARTIST

1

a obsolete : one skilled or versed in learned arts


b archaic : physician


c archaic : artisan 1

2

a : one who professes and practices an imaginative art


b : a person skilled in one of the fine arts

3

: a skilled performer; especially : artiste

4

: one who is adept at something artist> artist>


Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Matchbox 20 Inspired Journal Pages



























Yesterday morning I decided to watch a Matchbox 20 concert that I had previously recorded on my DVR.  What would we do without DVR?!?  In fact, I can’t imagine my life without this luxury... I definitely watch entirely too much tv :).  None the less, I have been a Matchbox fan since the late 90’s, and I was truly inspired by the band.  I can honestly say that I enjoy the lyrics to every song they have released and after listening to their unique arrangement of 3 AM, I decided to use the band as a muse for my daily journal pages.  
Another passion of mine is Zentangle, although I am NOT a CZT (certified zentangle teacher).  However, I do plan to be within the next few years.  A Master’s Degree, that I am forced to start for my job, stands in my way.  When browsing Yellow Daisy’s blog I noticed a beautiful Compass Mandala ( a circular zentangle), which was my other inspiration for this page.  So I walked into my newly created craft room and cut a circle of bristol paper, my favorite for zentangle, and began working. 
The truly beautiful thing about Zentangle is there are NO mistakes.  Pencil is only used for the “string”, which is drawn to split your paper into smaller sections for patterning.  In Zentangle, every pattern is created one stroke at a time, and in the process of creation can be extraordinarily relaxing.  When I am tangling, I enter sort of a trance, where the only things on my mind are the strokes of my favorite Sakura Micron on my fresh, white paper.  About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and was instructed by my doc that I needed to slow down- take a little time to myself each day.  I am an extremely high strung Virgo, who battles with stress (mostly self- induced) on a daily basis.  I have tried several types of things to help me relax: manicures, pedicures, massage, etc.  However, they are all very expensive and I cannot afford to do them on a daily basis, or even a monthly basis.  A few months ago, I stumbled upon Zentangle while reading Joann Fink’s book Zenspirations, which I recommend that you read if you enjoy lettering in anyway.  I decided to do a little Internet research and thought it looked fun.  Ever since creating my first Zentangle I have been addicted.  I spend at least 45 minutes a day creating Zentangles, and it has provided me a way to escape my racing mind for at least a while anyway.  
Back to these pages.... After creating my Mandala, I decided to stick it in my journal using a foam adhesive strip (the kind that raises stuff off the page).  Upon deciding the perfect placement for my mandala, it dawned on me that it would be cool to extend the mandala on to the pages of my journal.  So that is what I did.  I then saw my Sakura Koi Watercolor kit setting on my desk and decided to go for it.  I painted each section created by the extensions of my mandala.  I immediately went to purple, one of my favorite colors in the kit, and asked the hubby to choose the second color.  Hence, the yellow.  I laid my pages to the side and let them dry.  
With the songs from the concert watched still in my head, I thought it would be a good idea to fill in each section on my pages with Matchbox lyrics.  So I “googled” Matchbox 20 song lyrics and found a site that had lyrics to every song!  I went through my favorites by selecting the parts of each song that are my favorite and hand wrote them on my pages using a Sakura Micron pen.  And there you have it... these pages were done.  The color on my Mandala was created using Sakura Stardust Pens and Sakura Moonlight Gelly Rolls. If you don’t have a set of these pens, I strongly suggest you save up to purchase them!  They are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment